INTERMEDIATE MODERN CALLIGRAPHY: WORKSHOP JUN 9 PM (SANTA ROSA, CA)
This 3 hour modern dip pen calligraphy workshop is designed for those who are already comfortable with the basic skills of dip pen calligraphy. If you are ready to take your skills to the next level, this class is for you.
The beauty and fun of modern calligraphy is that we each get to create our own unique look. But sometimes it feels tricky to know where to start with developing it. We will focus the time on developing your own unique styles (yes, more than one!!) through exploring letter variations, angle, lead length, ascender/descender to x height ratios, and ligatures. You will learn about and apply the elements that determine the look of your lettering and build your portfolio of styles (if you have been hanging out with me long enough, you know I won't use the word "fonts" in reference to handwriting).
Other topics time permitting (participants will be asked during the class how they prefer we spend the time):
• Writing on different surfaces (i.e. tile, handmade paper)
• Pricing calculations for commissioned pieces
| WHEN |
• Saturday, June 9, 2018
• 2:30 pm - 5:30 pm
• Please arrive a few minutes early as instruction will begin promptly at start time
| LOCATION |
• The Z Room (205 5th St, Ste Z, Santa Rosa, CA 95401)
• Located in Historic Railroad Square near tons of fun shops and restaurants
• Santa Rosa, California is located in the beautiful Sonoma County wine country. Make this workshop an excuse for a weekend get-away!
• Room for only 10 participants so you will get lots of attention and interaction
| SUPPLIES |
• Please bring your oblique holder and some flexible pointed nibs of choice
• I will provide paper, ink and other supplies
| REFRESHMENTS |
• Light appetizers, coffee, tea and mimosas/wine will be provided
| FAQs |
• Do I have to bring anything? Please just bring your calligraphy pen and favorite nibs. I'll have everything else for you.
• If I have no experience using a pointed dip pen, can I take this class? We won't spend any time on the basics. If you have no experience, please sign up for my beginning class first.
| ABOUT KESTREL |
• My formal career training is in teaching (I have a master's degree in education and used to teach Spanish and math at a local high school and junior college). This background gives me the pedagogical knowledge to structure the workshop for best learning. I am a self-taught calligrapher who has turned this art/skill into my full time business. I love combining those two interests into teaching modern calligraphy to others who want to enjoy this fun and popular hobby!
| CANCELLATIONS |
• Please ensure you can attend the specified date/time. As the venue location will be secured based on registration numbers, no refunds/cancellations will be granted. If you are unable to attend due to unforeseen circumstances, you may transfer your attendance to a willing friend (please arrange with me via email in advance).
• Minimum attendance 5 students
| AGREEMENTS |
By registering for the workshop you agree to the below terms, which form a binding legal contract between Kestrel Montes and the registered attendee. If applicable, by purchasing registration for another participant, you attest that s/he is aware of and agrees to the below terms.
• EVENT FEE: Any additional costs such as travel or meal expenses are not included in registration and shall be born by the attendee.
• PHOTO RELEASE: By participating in the workshop, you acknowledge and agree to grant InkMeThis the right to capture and use your image without any further approval from you or any payment to you.
• EVENT CONTENT: The contents and materials used in the workshop are the sole intellectual property of Kestrel Montes. Workshop materials are for personal use by the attendee and may not be redistributed in any manner. Attendees may not record audio or video of the workshop session.
• PARTICIPANT REQUIREMENT: Participants should be at least 14 years old. Please do not bring children/babies with you to the workshop.
• PAYMENT: Payment in full is due upon registration.
• REFUNDS/CANCELLATIONS: Requests for refund will not be granted. In the event that Kestrel Montes must cancel the workshop, an alternate date or full refund will be offered.
• DISCLAIMER: The workshop content and materials are provided on a "as-is" basis. Kestrel Montes gives no warranties in respect of any aspect of the workshop.