Beginning Modern Calligraphy: Sep 8
This 3 hour modern dip pen calligraphy workshop is designed for the beginner. Maybe you want to be able to address your sister's wedding invitations or maybe you just want a new hobby. Maybe you have seen gorgeous calligraphy posts on Instagram, have dabbled a little but now you need some help jump-starting your skills. Whatever your goal is, this workshop is designed to get you on the road to creating your own gorgeous lettering art. We will start with the basics (how to hold the pen, nib preparation, fundamental strokes) and continue all the way to building and connecting letter forms into whole words. Throughout instruction, you will be taught tips about different papers, inks and nibs and be able to ask any questions that come to mind.
| WHEN |
• September 8, 2018
• 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
• Please arrive a few minutes early as instruction will begin promptly at start time
| LOCATION |
• The Z Room (205 5th St, Ste Z, Santa Rosa, CA 95401)
• Located in Historic Railroad Square near tons of fun shops and restaurants
• Santa Rosa, California is located in the beautiful Sonoma County wine country. Make this workshop an excuse for a weekend get-away!
• Room for only 11 participants so you will get lots of attention and interaction
| SUPPLIES |
• All needed supplies will be provided and are yours to keep so you can continue to practice your newly acquired skills at home.
• 1 Jar of black sumi ink
• Variety of Calligraphy nibs
• 1 Oblique calligraphy pen holder
• 1 Set of instructional pages printed on calligraphy quality paper covering upper and lowercase alphabet, full word practice and numerals
| REFRESHMENTS |
• Light appetizers, coffee, tea and mimosas/wine will be provided
| FAQs |
• Do I have to bring anything? Nope. I will provide everything you need. You may just want to bring a friend along with you for a fun play-date (or come alone and meet some new friends).
• If I have horrible handwriting will I be able to do this? Yes! Calligraphy is very different from handwriting. In fact, we are going to throw everything you learned about cursive out the window. I don't have particularly nice handwriting myself either.
• Can a lefty do this? Absolutely! There are some very talented left-handed calligraphers out there.
| ABOUT KESTREL |
• My formal career training is in teaching (I have a master's degree in education and used to teach Spanish and math at a local high school and junior college). This background gives me the pedagogical knowledge to structure the workshop for best learning. I am a self-taught calligrapher who has turned this art/skill into my full time business. I love combining those two interests into teaching modern calligraphy to others who want to enjoy this fun and popular hobby!
| CANCELLATIONS |
• Please ensure you can attend the specified date/time. As the venue location will be secured based on registration numbers, no refunds/cancellations will be granted. If you are unable to attend due to unforeseen circumstances, you may transfer your attendance to a willing friend (please arrange with me via email in advance).
• Minimum attendance 5 students
| AGREEMENTS |
By registering for the workshop you agree to the below terms, which form a binding legal contract between Kestrel Montes and the registered attendee. If applicable, by purchasing registration for another participant, you attest that s/he is aware of and agrees to the below terms.
• EVENT FEE: Any additional costs such as travel or meal expenses are not included in registration and shall be born by the attendee.
• PHOTO RELEASE: By participating in the workshop, you acknowledge and agree to grant InkMeThis the right to capture and use your image without any further approval from you or any payment to you.
• EVENT CONTENT: The contents and materials used in the workshop are the sole intellectual property of Kestrel Montes. Workshop materials are for personal use by the attendee and may not be redistributed in any manner. Attendees may not record audio or video of the workshop session.
• PARTICIPANT REQUIREMENT: Participants should be at least 14 years old. Please do not bring children/babies with you to the workshop.
• PAYMENT: Payment in full is due upon registration.
• REFUNDS/CANCELLATIONS: Requests for refund will not be granted. In the event that Kestrel Montes must cancel the workshop, an alternate date or full refund will be offered.
• DISCLAIMER: The workshop content and materials are provided on a "as-is" basis. Kestrel Montes gives no warranties in respect of any aspect of the workshop.