Copperplate Calligraphy: Lowercase for Beginners (Aug 17)
The traditional hand of Copperplate Script is considered a timeless beauty! And now you want to learn to do it too!! But you cannot learn a formal script from just watching random snippets of video on Instagram. In order to gain a foundational understanding that you can apply to your ink-to-paper practicing, it takes a cohesive and sequential examination of the elements that make Copperplate the gorgeous script that has kept it a favorite for 200 years.
In this class, we will focus on learning the uppercase alphabet of this timeless script style! With remaining time, we will cover topics such as practice drills and spacing. It is not mandatory, but you may also want to sign up for Copperplate Calligraphy: Uppercase for Beginners (Aug 24)
You will be well on your way to creating your own swoon-worthy posts (or save yourself hundreds of dollars on your future invitation addressing needs). And if your heart really prefers modern style calligraphy, learning Copperplate script is what will take your skills to the next level. If you were to pick the modern calligraphers on Instagram who really stand out as having beautiful style, I would bet you a burrito that they have studied and practiced Copperplate.
*** Please note: While this class is designed for the beginner to Copperplate Script, I will not have time to cover basic pointed pen skills. If you are not familiar with using a pointed pen, please also sign up for the FREE Dip Pen Calligraphy Demo (Aug 17 from 11-1)
| WHEN |
• Saturday, August 17
• 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
| LOCATION |
• Riley Street Art Supply, San Rafael Location
• Located about 15 minutes north of San Francisco on the way to the wine country. Make this workshop an excuse for a weekend get-away!
• Room for only 10 participants so you will get lots of attention and interaction
| SUPPLY LIST FOR PURCHASE AT RILEY STREET ART |
• Calligraphy pen holder, oblique holder recommended over straight holder
• Flexible pointed pen nibs (examples: Hunt 101 or Hunt 22B)
• Ink: Walnut ink, Sumi ink, or Winsor & Newton black gouache
• If you prefer, you can get everything you need here (use code RILEYSTREET for no shipping fee and set will be delivered to you at the workshop): Complete Calligraphy Set
| ABOUT KESTREL |
My formal career training is in teaching (I have a master's degree in education and used to teach high school and junior college). This background gives me the pedagogical knowledge to structure the workshop for best learning. I am a self-taught calligrapher who then received formal training from multiple Certified Master Penman. I love combining those two interests into teaching calligraphy to others who want to enjoy this fun and popular hobby!
| CANCELLATIONS |
• Please ensure you can attend the specified date/time. As the venue location will be secured based on registration numbers, no refunds/cancellations will be granted. If you are unable to attend due to unforeseen circumstances, you may transfer your attendance to a willing friend (please arrange with me via email in advance).
• Minimum attendance 5 students
| THE FINE PRINT|
By registering for the workshop you agree to the below terms, which form a binding legal contract between Kestrel Montes and the registered attendee. If applicable, by purchasing registration for another participant, you attest that s/he is aware of and agrees to the below terms.
• EVENT FEE: Any additional costs such as travel or meal expenses are not included in registration and shall be born by the attendee.
• PHOTO RELEASE: By participating in the workshop, you acknowledge and agree to grant inkmethis the right to capture and use your image without any further approval from you or any payment to you.
• EVENT CONTENT: The contents and materials used in the workshop are the sole intellectual property of Kestrel Montes. Workshop materials are for personal use by the attendee and may not be redistributed in any manner. Attendees may not record audio or video of the workshop session.
• PARTICIPANT REQUIREMENT: Participants should be at least 14 years old. Please do not bring children/babies with you to the workshop.
• PAYMENT: Payment in full is due upon registration.
• REFUNDS/CANCELLATIONS: Requests for refund will not be granted. In the event that Kestrel Montes must cancel the workshop, an alternate date or full refund will be offered.
• DISCLAIMER: The workshop content and materials are provided on a "as-is" basis. Kestrel Montes gives no warranties in respect of any aspect of the workshop.